Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Holga Mods On My Mind

I just shot my second roll of film and dropped it off this evening to pick up in the morning and I've been thinking of the ultimate mods. Mods are something that every Holga user thinks of at some time or another too. My simple mods already completed are:

1. Flocked the interior with Ultra Flat Black paint.
2. Painted the exterior leather-like seaction a nice shiny blue.
3. Stuck a 46-52mm step up ring to the front of the lens.

But I've been thinking about the shutter a lot lately. It would be nice to have, say, the shutter from a Lubitel 166U behind the lens of the holga. It would solve so many issues. You would get Holga images but with known shutter speeds plus lots of options such as a real flash sync and B or maybe even T. Maybe put the three element lens and shutter from the Lubitel on the Holga. That would be interesting too.

The Holga shutter is odd. Not the unknown timing of the shutter but the shape of the opening. It's not round but sort of rectangular and off center? Which accounts for some of the unusually interesting images and the light fall off. Look at the image of the roofline of my apartment and notice the darkness around the image. I am pretty sure it's a product of the shape of the opening around the shutter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home